Sunday, June 18, 2006

1


Corwin celebrated his first birthday this week. His first year has been very good. He has grown and learned and changed so much. The first six to eight weeks were very hard. I don't really remember it now, but I recall thinking at the time, "This is really freaking hard!" But you adjust and he gets better. You learn to survive with less sleep. I still don't get enough sleep, but you adjust. I don't go out as much as I would like to anymore. But when he smiles at you, its special. I can't imagine life with out him. But I have an all new respect for what single mothers do. I am so glad that Corwin has two caring loving parents that want to be parents.

Corwin got many cool things for his birthday, and was even able to help unwrap his presents some, unlike Christmas. Anke and I got him what is surely the worlds coolest rocking horse, Marlo the Pinto. The rocking horse is actually for 18 months and up, but as Mom always said, "He'll grow into it." He likes Marlo and pets him on occasion. But Corwin doesn't like to ride for long stretches yet.

On Saturday we had a small party for Corwin in Maurice's back yard. He and Bernie were there along with Grandma and Grandpa. I still find it weird to think of my parents as grandparents. Of course they don't find it weird in the slightest. I do believe they feel they had to way too long to achieve that status. We had cake and some truly fantastic steaks. (Thanks Russ!) He got a couple of cool toy cars and some nice clothes from the family. Uncle Mo and Aunt Bernie got him the coolest Social Distortion onesie. I'll have to post a pic as soon as he wears it. I'm sure the other parents at day care won't let their kids play with Corwin anymore after seeing him in his new punk gear.

We also got Corwin a little baby pool to splash around in. He really loved it. Although Mommy and Daddy didn't love blowing the bloody thing up so much. But it was worth the breath the I had to expend to see the fun he had with it Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

Happy Birthday, Corwin. Thank you for the joy and love you've brought to so many lives.

1 comment:

Asaraludu said...

Woohoo! Congratulations to the little guy, and to you two for surviving the first year.