Sunday, August 10, 2008

One day in San Jose

I left Omaha at around 6:30 this morning. Anke and Corwin took me to the airport. We had been prepping Corwin for my departure for over a week now. When I went back to C'town with Maurice a couple of weeks ago he really freaked out a bit. He really thought I was never coming home. So I told him I was flying to California and driving a new car home. And I would bring him and Conrad presents. I think that helped a bit.

I picked up my car this morning. But once again I don't know where it's at. My hotel only has valet parking so some young kid took my car away again today. Here is the AMG at the valet parking viewed from my room. The internet said that my hotel had a parking garage and wifi access in all rooms. The wifi access is only in the lobby. Luckily my laptop can barely pick up that network with only one bar.

Last night I went to an Share.org reception. It was nice with free food and drinks. And I have never seen so many CICS tee shirts in my life. Let alone in one place. I also met my dopleganger from Wisconsin. He too is a youngish COBOL programmer. Whose dad also is a truck driver. A lot of the conference seems to be directed more towards systems programmers vs. application programming, which is what I do. So it was nice to meet someone with a background similar to mine.

No comments: