Thursday, February 01, 2007

Live from Bellevue, NE

Welcome to the first post from Casa de Parker. I'm sitting in a mostly empty house waiting for the gas and water guy to come and read the meter to show up, typing on my bare bones PC that's only real purpose is for logging into work when necessary. The cable and phone guy clearly came first as I do have Internet access to post this.

So anyway, I am now a 20% homeowner as of yesterday. And that number will start climbing by ever so minute amounts monthly. And I have the joy of paying property taxes. The property taxes in Nebraska are rather high, too. Especially when the redness of this state is taken into consideration. But Corwin and Baby will be going to public schools and I want them to be nice schools so I'll pay with little bitching involved. But getting to this point made it an interesting week.

On Sunday we did the final walk thru on the house, with our buyer's agent Galya Leathers. If you do any real estate transactions in the Omaha area, I cannot recommend her enough. Anke and I couldn't be happier with the job she did for us. So we get to the house and it is COLD inside. Like really cold. We check the thermostat and it is set at 40. I guess the stupid sellers decided to save themselves a couple of dollars and turned the heat down now that the house was sold. We go to the kitchen and there is ice formed on the tap. Damn. We turn the heat up and call the seller's agent. She comes buy to check the house later and sure enough, the damn pipes between the kitchen and the garage broke. They get a plumber in to fix them that day and promise to have the ceiling of the garage, which sustained substantial water damage, fixed by Friday. Gayla has her own plumber come and check out the work done by the buyer's plumber on Tuesday just to make sure. I would have preferred that disaster not have happened, but it's been taken care of.

So the plan is to go ahead and close on Tuesday. My lender phones and tells me that everything looks good. But my documents have to go through some sort of "quality control" by the underwriter before everything can proceed. And that won't happen today. What the hell is going on I think. They've known for 5 weeks that we are closing on the 30th. What do they think I'm a terrorist, needing to check all of my documents? Damn Bush and his Patriot Act. The sellers are now freaked out too, because this is the second time that the house has sold. The first deal fell through at the last minute, too, back in June. Tuesday comes, and they still aren't sure if they will get to my documents today. Well after much hand wringing my Indian lender finally calls at around 3:15 to tell me that the underwriter finally signed off and we can close tomorrow on the 31st. Hooray! Everything finally comes together and I can stop stressing.

3 comments:

Asaraludu said...

Congratulations, Scotty! A homeowner at last! Now you HAVE to be a responsible family man...

Now's a good time, before the new baby arrives.

Scotty said...

Hooray. More responsibility. That was one of the things I really enjoyed about an apartment, and why I stayed in one so long, is that if something breaks. Call the landlord, and he fixes it. They mow the grass and shovel the snow. So now I get to do all of that myself. I had to buy a snow shovel yesterday to clear the snow off of the driveway. My driveway has a rather steep angle and I would hate for the U-haul truck to go sliding through my garage tomorrow. The joys of home ownership are already beginning.

But I’m really looking forward to being there. With all of the raw woodwork in the house and the forested view to the back, along with the snow and deer tracks, it looks a bit like a lodge in Colorado. I’m rather looking forward to us having kids the same age. Yours and mine will be able to play back there in a couple years.

Anonymous said...

When we moved to our new place, it was sultry summer. Right before the close, we had a professional cleaner come in to shampoo the carpets to try and rid the place of dog dander, which is like my personal kryptonite. Since our sellers had already moved out, it didn't seem like it would be a big deal. I came by the place to check out the carpet job, but the sellers didn't show up so the doors were locked, and then I noticed a fog on the inside of the windows. Seemed they wanted to save a few bucks by turning off the air for the 2 days prior to closing, and with the wet carpets, it had become extremely humid in the house. I went into a berserker rage in the driveway, made a nice first impression for my new neighbors who were grilling out, and called the sellers to let them know that if they didn't turn the air back on pronto, we wouldn't close. Who wants to buy a musty, moldy house?

So yeah, that kinda garbage happens. Now it's a few years later and our remodeling is sailing right along. The carpet that was such an issue is now gone and the place feels more like home than any place else we've lived. It all shakes out in the end.

Congrats on the new place. I bet it's beautiful!

-Lisa