Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Roadtrip

On Friday night Maurice and I left for Indianola for a barbecue at Tony's place. Eric was up from Texas with his wife and new baby, Gabriel. It was really fun hanging with all my friends and drinking a few beers. Unfortunately I left the camera in the car, so I have no pictures to commemorate the event.

On Saturday I was supposed to go to Eric's baby shower in Moravia. But I couldn't actually find it, so Maurice and I stopped in Fat Annies for a beer. A $1 beer! It wasn't even happy hour. One dollar beers, all day, every day at Fat Annies. I love Iowa. Unfortunately they didn't have any food outside of pickled eggs, so we only stayed for 1 $1 beer.

Next we headed out to the Landing for dinner. On the way we cruised through Honey Creek, looking for the looking unsuccessfully for some destination park that is supposedly being built for Lake Rathbun. We didn't find any construction, but we found this old barn in the process of slow decomposition.

I wish that I would have had the DSLR camera for this barn. The point and shoot is compact and convenient, but it has it's limits sometimes.



The Landing's had this burned out sputnik thing going on outside it. The food was fairly good, but the bartender messed up Mo's dirty martini.

On the drive to Maurice's farm to set up the tents, we found this stump.

We attempted to do hero pictures.



We weren't able to set up the tents, however. Despite the LSD in the cutlass, the Kumho tires couldn't get any traction in the wet grass/mud on the hill up to Mo's farm. So it was back to Centerville, to find a place to sleep that night.

We hooked up with Russ and Di Saturday night. We started the night off at a small party in someones garage, southern Iowa style.

Jessica and Di are singing with some 90's dance song in the back of Russ and Di's swanky Enclave. Maurice was quick to point out that his Jeep is much more butch than Russ's Buick. We went to Moulton first for drinks. I actually saw a couple of guys I went to school with and/or worked at Hy-Vee with back in the day. Then we went to another bar in Centerville that I'm not sure the name of. It seems the bar formerly known as Jim's is closed again, so we couldn't go there.

Sunday morning I woke up, surprisingly refreshed and it was back to Omaha.

No comments: